A perfect summer salad – Crisp green beans, sweet red onion and a light dressing. This salad is best served at room temperature, so whip it up a bit before you eat and let it rest on the counter.
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 red onion, peeled, sliced and separated into rings
- Parsley, to garnish
- 2 Tbs red-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin (the original recipe calls for 1/4 tsp, but more is better in this case!)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook beans till tender crips – either by steaming the beans over boiling water in a covered pot for 5-6 min or blanch them in boiling water for 3 min. Rinse beans immediately under cold water to preserve their color, drain and let cool.
- Transfer the beans to a bowl and add onion rings.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the dressing ingredients. Pour over green beans and onions, and toss the salad gently.
- At serving time, garnish with fresh parsley and toss salad again.
From: Good Food Gourmet by Jane Brody