Parsnips add a lovely sweet flavor to these heart hash browns. The creamy-spicy dipping sauce is a wonderful compliment, but these hash browns are equally special when used as a gluten-free quiche crust. See note below!
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- Heaping 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives or green onions
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 3-4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 parsnips
- 2 potatoes
- 1/4 cup flour (I love using garbanzo bean flour for a gluten-free option)
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Combine ingredients for dipping sauce in serving bowl. Add Tabasco sauce to tastes. Set aside.
- Peel parsnips and potatoes. Grate in food processor. Because both potatoes and parsnips can oxidize in the air, complete the recipe quickly.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Drop by generous spoonfuls into hot oil. Fry until crisp on both sides. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
This recipe also makes a wonderful gluten-free quiche crust. Simple press mixture evenly into bottom and sides of 2 pie pans. Bake in 450 degree F oven for 15 min or until golden and crisp. Fill with favorite quiche recipe.