Dried chickpeas are soaked and ground with an abundance of fresh herbs… this recipe is a delicious way to celebrate summer’s finest fresh herbs and flavors! Pack pita bread with falafel, greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and a creamy tahini sauce. Yum!
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (Do NOT use canned or cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup fresh dill
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 7-8 garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Oil for frying
- (One day in advance) Place the dried chickpeas in a large bowl filled with water to cover the chickpeas by at least 2 inches. Soak overnight for 18 hours (longer if the chickpeas are still too hard). When ready, drain the chickpeas completely.
- Add the chickpeas, herbs, onions, garlic and spices to the large bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Run the food processor 40 seconds at a time until all is well combined forming the falafel mixture.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a container and cover tightly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or (up to one whole night) until ready to cook.
- Just before frying, add the baking powder and sesame seeds to the falafel mixture and stir with a spoon.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of the falafel mixture and form into patties (½ inch in thickness each).
- Deep fry in medium hot oil for 3-5 min, until brown. Don’t overcrowd. Drain on paper towel or colander.
- Enjoy hot or eat in pita bread with other favorite toppings!
From: The Mediterranean Dish