We received this recipe from a favorite picture book in our home, ‘Amelia and Elanor Go for a Ride’ by Pam Muñoz Ryan. It is now a family favorite dessert as well. The book says to eat Angel Food cake with Elanor Roosevelt’s Pink Clouds, but we generally just eat ours with a fruit sauce, such as Strawberry and Red Currant Sauce.
This is also a great recipe to make gluten free. Simply use your preference of one-for-one gluten free flour in place of the cake flour.
- 1 cup cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 1/4 cup egg white (10-12 eggs), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- almond flavoring, to taste
- In large bowl sift flour 2x. Add 1/2 sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a different bowl bat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat on high and slowly add remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add almond flavoring.
- Very carefully fold egg whites into flour. Pour into tube pan, or two bread pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 min.
- Serve with fruit sauce or Eleanor Roosevelt’s Pink clouds (see below)
Crush 1 pint strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Let stand 30 min. Carefully fold berries into 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped. Spoon on top of cake.