Dry Beans require an extra step of soaking before they can be cooked. Soaking creates a creamier finished product, reduces cook time and makes them easier to digest.
How to Soak Dry Beans:
- Place dry beans in a large pot (beans with expand to three times their volume so give plenty of room). Cover beans with 2-3 inches of cold water. Soak for six hours to overnight before cooking.
- Or if you don’t have 6 hours and want a quicker method, place pot on stove and bring them gently to a boil. Then turn off burner and remove pot from the heat. Allow them to remain in the water for 1 to 2 hours only.
How to Cook Dry Beans:
- Take pot of soaked beans and cover with 3 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until beans are softened and skin begins to peel when blown on. For King of Early beans this will take around 45 min. Add salt to taste.
- Use in recipe as directed.