- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs peppercorn
- 1 Tbs chili pepper flakes
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 2-3 jalapenos, cut into rounds
- 1 grape leaf
- 1/2 gallon unchlorinated water
- 2 Tbs sea salt
- 2 Tbs smoked salt
- Put garlic cloves, peppercorns and chili flakes in the bottom of a 1-quart jar or crock. Arrange Brussels Sprouts and jalapeños so their wedged below the shoulders of the jar. Pour in enough brine to cover the vegetables. Store leftover brine in the fridge for a week.
- Place grape leaf, if using, or cover with plastic wrap. Top vegetables with a weight, such as a ziplock bag filled with water.
- Set aside on a baking sheet to ferment, somewhere nearby, out of direct sunlight, and cool, for 7-14 days.
- Taste after a week. They’re ready when the sprouts are sour enough for your palate.
Recipe From: Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten K Shockey and Christopher Shockey