Thunder storms are now an exciting, anticipate phenomenon in our home, thanks to the lovely book by Patricia Polacco, Thunder Cake.
- 1 cup shortening (we use butter)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup tomato puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 8 1/2 inch cake pans.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg yolks.
- Mix in the cold water and pureed tomatoes.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into egg/tomato mixture.
- Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry mixture into wet.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting with chocolate buttercream icing.
- Optional (but really a must!): Top with fresh strawberries.