This recipe celebrates spring with the fresh flavor of radishes and green garlic. Radishes cook up beautifully. Sautéing mellows their pungency and renders the once-crisp flesh tender.
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 small radishes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 stalks green garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons sea salt. Boil turnip cubes just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, pour off any excess water, and set aside. Next, boil radishes briefly, 30 to 60 seconds; remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, pour off any excess water, and set aside.
- Set a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and turnips and radishes. Turning vegetables only once or twice, cook 8 minutes or until golden-brown. Fold in green garlic. Push vegetables to the sides, melt butter in the center of pan, and add the eggs, salting each individually. Cook egg to desired firmness. Finish with minced parsley and sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.