This recipe is a variation of a family recipe I received from my mother. I’ve simplified the recipe from a sweet dessert bread to more of a versatile ‘every-day’ kind of recipe. I love the color pumpkin and egg gives to the bread and why not enjoy it more than just on special occasions! I often throw all the ingredients into my bread machine and set it to the ‘dough’ setting because some days are just that crazy. Enjoy trying it out and possibly making your own variations!
- 2 C cooked pumpkin (or Squash) puree
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C coconut oil or butter
- 4 tsp yeast
- 8 C flour (divided) (can use part whole wheat)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C maple syrup or sugar
- 2 eggs
- Heat pumpkin, water and oil to 120 degrees F.
- Combine yeast, 4 C flour, salt, maple syrup in bowl.
- Add pumpkin mixture and eggs. Beat for 2 min.
- Add remaining 4 C flour till soft dough forms. When using only white flour, often a little extra flour is needed. I’ll often make this recipe with 6 C white flour and 2 C whole wheat flour. Knead 10 min. raise 1 hr.
- This dough is wonderful versatile. Can be made into loaves, buns, rolls or our favorite is a braided loaf (pictured)!
- After forming, raise 45 min.
- Bake at 375 degree F for 25 min for larger loaves, 15 min for buns.