A favorite family pickle recipe… to make and eat! Expand the recipe if you have larger amounts of beets to use up. I generally make large batches and can them for long term storage. You can use any color beets, but they will all blend in color in the end.
• 1/2 C water
• 1/2 C sugar
• 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
• 1 cinnamon sticks
• 1/4 tsp whole cloves and allspice
• 2.5 lbs beets, peeled and cut in quarters if large
1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil. Decrease to simmer and cook until beets are tender, about 15 min.
2.Pour the hot brine and beets into jars, and seal with lids.
3. Leave on counter till room temperature and refrigerate, or process according to canning directions.