Potato Leek soup is the perfect fall comfort food. I use an immersion blender because it makes it one step easier!
• 3 large leeks, light green and white parts chopped
• Herb bundle: 4 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 bay leaves
• ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
• 3 celery stalks, chopped
• Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
• 1 russet potato, peeled, chopped
• 5 cups (or more) chicken broth
• ½ cup heavy cream
1. Heat butter in a large heavy pot. Add celery and sliced leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until leeks begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium-low, add herb bundle, cover pot, and cook, checking and stirring occasionally, until leeks and celery are very soft, 25–30 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium-high, add potato and 5 cups broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potato is very tender.
3. Working in batches, purée leek mixture in a blender until very smooth. Transfer to a large bowl or pitcher. Or use immersion blender for a no fuss method!
4. Pour soup back into pot and add cream. Thin with broth, if needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.