Pretty on the plate and tasty on the tongue! You may notice that this recipe is a close repeat of Jalapeno Cornbread, but with the added beauty of cooked onion.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Slice onions into rings, making sure to leave them intact. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large cast-iron skillet and arrange 5-7 large onion rings in the skillet. This will be the top of your “cake.” Sauté onions for 5-8 minutes, or until softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt. Add the yogurt, milk, and egg.
- Once combined, stir in the melted butter and cheese.
- Pour (thick) batter over the sautéed onions in the skillet, then transfer skillet to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Carefully invert cornbread cake onto serving platter. Enjoy!
From: 12 Tomatoes