This is the first time we have grown Delicata squash, but it is definitely a do over! One thing to love about Delicata is it’s thin skin. This makes the fruit easy to cut and prepare. No hacking required! And when thinly sliced and roasted, the skin can be eaten along with the flesh. Some may not prefer the crispy textured skin… roast them whole as you would any other winter squash.
- 2-4 delicata squash, depending on size (~1.5 lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Clean the delicata squash with water, scrubbing away dirt with your hands. If there are any hard spots on the squash, you can scrape them off with a butter knife.
- With a sharp knife, cut delicata in half lengthwise. This should be easy and not require any crazy hacking. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and discard (save them and roast like pumpkin seeds for a tasty snack). Cut each delicata half into 1/2 inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces.
- Arrange pieces in a single layer in a metal baking pan and coat in 2 tbsp olive oil. Salt gently.
- Place in 400 degree oven and roast 10 minutes. Using a spatula turn the squash in the pan every 7-10 minutes until both sides of the squash pieces are golden brown and the texture is soft, about 25-30 minutes.