This mock cheese sauce is a family favorite with it’s cheesy texture, but light and refreshing flavor. We eat it often with broccoli and potatoes, and it also compliments fish well.
- 1 Cup Chicken broth (or water)
- 1/2 Cup Cashews, rinsed (or raw sunflower seeds)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 C Tomato or canned pimento
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder (or fresh)
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil. Stir and cook 3-5 min.
- Serve over steamed broccoli and potatoes or noodles, etc.
Optional: Substitute other spices (1 tsp dill weed, or 1 tsp caraway seed, or 1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke flavor)