- 1 lb green beans, stem ends snapped off
- 1/2 medium yellow or red onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 medium thin-sliced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- Place rack in middle position, preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the beans and onions on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and use your hands to coat the beans evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, toss to coat, and distribute in an even layer. Roast for 10 minutes.
- While roasting the beans and onion, combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, thyme, and garlic slices in a small bowl.
- After the beans and onions have roasted for 10 minutes, remove from oven. Drizzle the vinegar honey mixture over the beans and onions; use tongs to coat evenly. Put back in the oven and continue to roast until onions and beans are dark golden brown in spots and beans have started to shrivel, about 12-15 minutes longer.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with toasted chopped walnuts, and serve. (In the above photo, potatoes where added to make the dish a more filling main course).