- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 as a side dish.
- 4 russet potatoes (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 5-6 Tbsp unsalted butter (with more butter for serving)
- Choice of favorite sausage (or omit)
- 3 lightly packed cups of chopped kale, cabbage, chard, or other leafy green
- 3 green onions (including the green onion greens), minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup milk or cream
1 Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are fork tender (15 to 20 minutes). Drain in a colander.
2 Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot and once it’s hot, add the sausage. Cook till brown. Add greens. Cook the together for 3-4 minutes, or until the greens are wilted and have given off some of their water. Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.
3 Pour in the milk or cream, mix well, and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium. Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens. Add salt to taste and serve hot, with a knob of butter in the center.
Variation (As seen in the picture above):
Mash potatoes in separate bowl while greens and sausage are cooking. Serve mashed potatoes on a bed of greens and sausage.
Or substitute out half of the potatoes with parsnips. Can add chives, leeks, or bacon too!
Taken from http://www.simplyrecipes.com and Kaarina’s family cookbook.